30 July 2008

Why is it that winter lasts so much longer than summer?

Have you ever noticed how winter lasts about 6 months while summer only about 3? Winter starts in approximately April-May and finishes in October-November. And then not the whole of the summer is warm -and I like it warm - between 30C and 37C is the most comfortable for me I must say.

But anyways, in other news - the monotony of my job is starting to get me down. When I first got into this type of work, I was somewhat excited, but by now I would have expected to have achieved more diversity in my working life. And I am not kidding about the monotony. People do not last in this type of work for very long. The average is about 3-6 months. I have been in it for about 2 years. I first started when I was at the beginning of my last year and a half of uni. So I was doing full time study, clinical placements and trying to fit in a full time job. It wasn't fun I tells ya. But the unfortunate thing is - it was more fun than it is now. I had way more fun at uni, then after graduating. Is this a common thing or is there something wrong with me. Am I just really irresponsible and immature? Hmmm. But seriously I have outlasted dozens of people.
But the thing is, I know that this work needs to be done and that it brings in much needed resources to our not for profit charitable organisation. And I know my boss would be left in a lurch if I suddenly decided that I just couldn't continue doing this work anymore. So I just try to work thru my slump and keep doing it. *sigh* I am also terrified of being unemployed. I have never been unempoyed. I have been working since I was 13.

I am also trying to plan a small gathering for M's birthday next week. I don't want to make it too big because if I start inviting everyone in his family, I will end up with dozens (and dozens, I mean it) of people. And I am somewhat unprepared to cook a meal for that many. And where will we fit them all. We don't have an outdoor setting and our yard is sloped. And we have a crazy destructive dog who steals food of your plate the second you turn away. Double hmmm. And anyway, I doubt that anyone will actually want to be outside, with the evening temperatures going down to below zero lately. I think I will just invite my family and have something with his family later on. Maybe go out to a nice restaurant (in this case i doubt his dad will make it, his idea of fancy is a schnitzel specials night). And sensitivity is not that man's forte.

Already, this is starting to make me anxious. I am not the best at throwing dinner gatherings. I can cook fine. It's just cooking for so many. Yikes. I have a very small family and am unused to large family gatherings.

I think I shall go and eat some fry's turkish delite lollies to get me out of this funk (hopefully). They are my favorite. I knew I shouldn't have bought that half a kilo box of favorites.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE reading posts from other places in the world as my downfalls (ho hos) are SO NOT YOURS (the lollies? never heard of 'em :)).

have a great day.

gonna be 103 degrees here.
Im longing for winter right about now....

Clyde said...

Ah, come on, we have only had one zero this winter-----and really our winters arent that bad and we get a good 7 or 8 months a year.
Geez, I'm on the beach 365 with my dog
Of course when you are studying and working part time, work is a lot more fun cos it doesnt consume your life.
I'm no catering genius, but I usually suggest we all go to the pub for the family do and everyone pays their own way---then a few friends for the home bit---and if they are your age---nothing wrong with good pizza and you can make desert

Brianinmpls said...

If I was not half a world away I would come help you I love cooking:)

ghetto princess said...

mizfit - ive heard of ho hos on tv but we don't have them here....and the lollies... no more im afraid, im my own worst enemy sometimes

clyde - i take this to mean u are also in adelaide, haha, no i swear it has been freezing, everyone around me does not fail to mention it, and i dont watch much tv weather so i take their word for it
ps. no one is close to my age except my sister, plus when we go out for someones bday we have a tradition of the inviter (ie. me in this case) shouting the meal and i am not in the position to shout a meal for 50 people :( (and dessert is my weak point, i can make pretty much anything else (within reason i did not train as a chef)but not really sweets)

brian - welcome from across the atlantic, i like cooking too, and i like when people enjoy things i cook

Clyde said...

Yep, I'm in Adelaide and by the beach.
Guess you will just have to invite them all to the beach front kiosk and get $20.00 worth of chips and a load of dim sims-----
If it rains they will all go home, if it doesnt they will all have a good time at the beach

ghetto princess said...

clyde - haha, tru

Anonymous said...

It bring me memories when you talk about winter in July because I'm from Brazil but I live in Canada and here right now is summer.
But if you think that you have 6 months of winter you should pass winter here, does minus 30 or 40 sounds nice to you? :)
Since you said that you live in a beautiful beach you should put some pictures, it will be cool to see because I miss the beach.

ghetto princess said...

hmmm, that's a good idea. i think i will have a look to see if i can find my camera =)