06 August 2008

I would like to see them find someone to do what I do.

Yes, it is final. I don't just hate this type of work, but I now also cannot believe how my boss expects me to stay in a shitty, low paying job when all he ever gives me is negative feedback and makes me feel like crap. And the thing is, I know the quality of work is not that bad, not at all. I left my previous job because of all the travelling involved and the workload (which is not at all different to here, by the way, when I was promised differently). I received a lot of praise in my previous workplace, and not just from my previous bosses, but from different people within various government organizations. The were all independent opinions, not influenced by any factors. The general consensus was that I was pretty good at what I did. I was given incentives, rewards and people to train because I knew what I was doing. They did not want me to leave and asked me what they could do to change my mind. But at that stage I was blindedby my current boss's promises of reduced work loads and doing work within my actual profession, rather than the shittywork I have been doing.

The type of work that I do hasn't changed. But I now work for a different employer. I have never in my life received so much negative feedback. I mean I appreciate constructive criticism, but this never seems to end. I am expected to sustain a workload I had at my previous job, as well as a new set of clients and various additional administrative duties. I did not spend 26K on a Masters degree in an Allied Health profession (after my Medical Sc degree) to do administrative tedium. If I wanted to be an office worker I would have gone to Secretarial College. So understandably I am not that good at administrative duties. I respect people who do that for a living, but I should not be expected to do do administrative duties as well, when I already do a full time job and a half. This was not expected in my previous workplace. At this stage I would love a job where all I was expected to do was administative duties.

Let me explain something, the work that I do is not what I went to uni to learn to do. My boss promised me that as time went on, he would phase out a proportion of this work and allow me to do more work within my actual allied health profession. This did not happen. I was given additional work to do ON TOP of this work, which already requires a full time position to perform.

Everyone who has ever worked in this field (for the purposes of this post let's call it GSDC) has left within a very short period of time and never returned. I did not go to uni to work in the GSDC field. But my sense of duty has kept me working because due to the nature of this work there are never enough employees wanting to work in this field. It sucks. It's crap. No one ever comes back after giving it a go. It is a notoriously hard field to lure employees into (after only having existed for just over 2 years). But I did not want to let my company down when there was a lot of work to do and no one to do it. Exactly 7 people have been interviewed for the same position but in a different area of Adelaide. But many of these 7 people have mysteriously found "better job offers" upon learning what kind of work they were expected to do. And the 2 (additional) people that have actually been hired to do the GSDC work have left within a very short timeframe. And this is the thanks I get for slaving my butt off. I am so angry I am sitting at my desk and holding back tears.

Don't get me wrong, I like the work that I actually went to uni to learn to do. But this is not it. I have been made a different promise, and that was the reason I left my old workplace and came to work here. This promise has been warped and twisted and I have been made to feel like THEY are doing ME a favor.

This is not the case. Case in point being that they have not yet been able to hire another person for the different area to do what I do within the past 2+ years, 10 months of which I have been here for. Prior to that they were looking for someone to fill the position I am in now, because the lady that was doing it has left as she could not cope with the nature of the work. And, I stronlgy suspect the nature of my boss's feedback. As did another lady working directly under my boss.

I am sorry about my rant, but this is my blog where I like to express my thoughts, goals, achievements and feelings. And rite now I have been made to feel like I am worthless, and I know I don't deserve this. I have always been praised for my perseverance, loyalty, good nature and quality of work achieved.

I would like to leave, but I know it won't look good on my resume. I also fear unemployment and not being able to pay my bills. I don't like to rely on others, even my hubby. But I will leave if this continues, rite now it's more a matter of when than if. All I ever do is work, and that is what I have always done. I held 3 jobs at the same time during uni. I have never slacked off. Occasionally I spend 20 mins to write a post or answer a friend's email, but I make up for this by helping my boss and doing all the work he throws my way, in addition to my GSDC workload.

I am feeling somewhat fragile rite now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man that is not good, and trust me I know the feeling, I have had some major ups and downs with my current workplace but at the moment it all seems to be cruising along.

I just hope things get better for you, or maybe there are other jobs or better options out there. Cant hurt to look right?

Chin up hun, hopefully its just a bad day :(

ghetto princess said...

thanks for the kind words, unfortunately i dont think it's a bad day as my boss already made at least one other person leave due to his constantly telling her off about how she was doing things "not his way". What he does is point out, point by point, exactly every word, comma and meaning, you got wrong, and makes it seam he is doing u a favor.
What I dont understand is how he thinks he will be able to find someone new if I decide to leave due to him treating me this way, as for the past 2 years he has been looking for my equivalent but in different area of adelaide, w/o any luck as no one wants to do work in this specific government field due to low pay, horrible work itself, which is dangerous and unpleasant and puts you at risk every single day.

Anonymous said...

Hey. I don't think resigning from a position, that is not the position you applied for, will damage your resume at all. Writing all this down in your blog is a good thing. Now you've managed to put the lot on paper, refine it & go to your boss. If he is unable or unwilling to compromise to keep you & give you the type of work you applied for in the first place, then you start looking for another job ASAP. (((hugs)))

ghetto princess said...

Yes, I have now made up my mind that Ive had it with this work. There are days when I cant even have a lunchbreak due to being swamped with work. Like I said in my post, there is not one person I have met, who after starting work in this specific field for a while, has stayed on for more than 12 months after learning the true nature of the work. The work is uninteresting, tedious, monotonous and dangerous as I am seeing people/clients who DON'T want to be there.
Thanks for your comment :)